You many have noticed I haven’t been posting as often as usual and well that’s because It’s officially camping season!
We have been spending a few weekends camping with friends and family. I’m always looking for new recipes to make while camping and I came across a bunch of recipes using a dutch oven. I found this inexpensive one that I purchased on amazon.
The first thing I had to do was season it, which was very stinky!! If you need instructions on how to season a cast iron dutch oven head over to this wiki page.
- 2½ Cup (8 Ounces) Pasta (I used Gluten Free)
- 1 Pound Ground Beef
- 1 Small Onion; Chopped.
- 1 Clove Garlic; Minced.
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1 Package Taco Seasoning (I used Wildtree )
- 2¾ Cup Water
- 1 Can (6 Ounces) Tomato Paste
- 1 Can (4 Ounces) Green Chilies; Diced.
- ½ Green Bell Pepper; Chopped.
- Cheddar Cheese; Shredded.
- Black Pepper
- Cook macaroni, drain and set aside while browning ground beef with onion, garlic and bell pepper.
- Add taco seasoning, tomato paste, water, cumin and green chilies; mix well until tomato paste is combined. *Ideally this can be done before you leave for the trip.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in pasta.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes over fire
- Sprinkle with cheese the last few minutes of baking.
Now in hind sight I could have made the pasta and beef before we left and then just tossed it all together. But it wasn’t to hard to do these steps in the camper
Below is the finished dish. It was so delicious! My family ate the entire pot, even both kids really liked it.